As the world becomes increasingly aware of environmental issues, the fashion industry is also undergoing a transformation towards sustainability. A crucial aspect of this shift is the use of organic cotton. Although only 1% of all cotton in the world is produced organically, this is a much more sustainable alternative. You can recognize organic cotton by the OCS or the GOTS quality mark. These are characteristic quality marks. In this blog we would like to delve deeper into GOTS. We explore the meaning of GOTS-certified cotton and why you should consider including it in your wardrobe.
What is GOTS-Certified Cotton?
GOTS stands for Global Organic Textile Standard and is a globally recognized certification for organic textiles, including cotton. When you see a product with the GOTS label, it means that the cotton used in that item meets strict organic and environmental criteria throughout its production. These criteria include everything from cotton cultivation to the final stages of production, ensuring minimal environmental impact and maximum social responsibility.
Benefits of GOTS-Certified Cotton in Clothing:
1. Environmental Sustainability: GOTS-certified cotton is grown without the use of synthetic pesticides, herbicides, and genetically modified organisms (GMOs). This promotes healthier soil, reduces water pollution, and conserves biodiversity.
2. Reduced Water Usage: Organic cotton typically requires less water for cultivation compared to conventional cotton. By choosing GOTS-certified cotton clothing, you are contributing to water conservation efforts.
3. No Harmful Chemicals: GOTS prohibits the use of toxic chemicals and dyes in the processing of cotton textiles. This not only safeguards the environment but also protects the health of the farmers, workers, and end-users.
4. Fair Labor Practices: GOTS certification ensures fair and ethical labor conditions for everyone involved in the cotton supply chain. This includes fair wages, safe working conditions, and no child labor.
5. High-Quality Fabrics: GOTS-certified cotton is often associated with premium quality. It is soft, breathable, and durable, making it an excellent choice for comfortable and long-lasting clothing.
Ways to Incorporate GOTS-Certified Cotton into Your Wardrobe:
1. Look for the GOTS Label: When shopping for clothing, check for the GOTS label or certification on the product. This indicates that the item is made from organic cotton and meets the highest environmental and ethical standards.
2. Support Sustainable Brands: Many sustainable fashion brands prioritize the use of GOTS-certified cotton in their collections. Research and choose brands that align with your values and sustainability goals.
3. Reduce, reuse, recycle: A major cause of clothing waste is the enormous production of poor quality clothing. Consumers buy clothing that they hardly need because it is so cheap. The result is that clothing very quickly (sometimes even unused) ends up in the waste. That's why it's better to buy as many high-quality items as possible. They last a long time and are therefore more sustainable. You can also look at second-hand clothing or clothing that contains recycled material. This way you prevent the overproduction of clothing.
4. Care for Your Clothes: Proper care can extend the life of your GOTS-certified cotton clothing. Follow care instructions to minimize wear and tear, and consider eco-friendly laundry practices.
GOTS-certified cotton is a sustainable option for your clothing. By purchasing products with GOTS, you make a positive impact on the environment, support ethical labor practices and enjoy high-quality, comfortable clothing. SKOT only uses certified organic cotton with the OCS and GOTS quality marks. That's why at SKOT you can assume that you are helping the world every day when you wear your clothes. Let's make conscious choices and promote a more environmentally and socially responsible fashion future.
That's how you make a difference!!